Boylesque - Do You Dig It? (probably NSFW)

by - 16:06

When I was doing my undergraduate degree I used to go to burlesque shows quite often. Recently the company who used to perform in my town is taking a break from performing so I haven't been able to go to a show for ages. All is not lost though - through the magic of Youtube I have discovered 'boylesque', burlesque as performed by male dancers. I really enjoy burlesque as a form of entertainment and although I have never seen any male dancers perform at any of the shows I have been to, it looks like something I could really appreciate! What do you think?






There are also a couple more that I wanted to share but I couldn't get the videos to embed no matter how hard I tried. First there is this one. The sound isn't great on the video but the routine is excellent! And the second is one which I really enjoyed. I'm a huge fan of Steampunk fashion and also of Abney Park so this performance was perfect for me!

One thing I really like about boylesque versus burlesque with female dancers is that the boys seem to have more scope to do comedy or quirky routines. Don't get me wrong - I have seen some great comedy routines done by female dancers and if you like your men in high heels and a corset (goodness me!) then you can find that as well, but a lot of the boylesque routines I found myself enjoying the most were the more cheeky and funny ones rather than the ones that were designed to be sexy without the comedy aspect.

So ladies, does a bit of boylesque tickle your fancy?

You May Also Like

6 comments

  1. From an entertainment standpoint (more than something that I would find, how shall we say, titilating), it certainly does. It's a jolly kind of performance art that doesn't take itself to seriously - something we could all stand to be reminded of sometimes in this day and age. I've never seen any burlesque or burlesque live (there's none, as far as I know, to be had around these parts), but I'd happily attend a show of either if the chance arose. It's awesome to support those who go out there and give it their all - while often wearing very little - on stage still in the 21st century.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I love the humerous aspect, it really appeals to me as a performance art.

      Delete
  2. I have been to a few burlesque shows and most of them have featured a boylesque act too. One great one was a pirate act by Dave the Bear, it was just very very funny. Worth a look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see a live boylesque performance, I will jump at the chance if it ever arises. I'll have a look for the performance you mention, it sounds great :)

      Delete
    2. Not sure where you are based but I read your post on Leeds. Hebden Bridge (50 min by train from Leeds) has a burlesque festival in May over 3 days and they have a performance which is just boylesque.

      Delete
    3. It's a bit of a way to travel for me as my brother lives in Leeds but I don't. I'll see about maybe getting there in the New Year though, it sounds like a good event.

      Delete