Review: Collectif Clothing

by - 09:24

collectif clothing london


Collectif is one of the first companies I started shopping with when I started to get into exploring a more retro look. I haven't bought anything from them in some time now, which means none of the things I own are available from the Collectif website, but I have done my best to track down links to other stores where they are still available. Here is an overview of the clothes from Collectif that I currently own:

collectif clothing london
[1 - Regina Doll Dress Hawaiian Blue, available from Rockers England, Top Vintage, 2 - Flora Dress Leopard, 3 - Fedora Nautical dress, available from Ebay, Top Vintage]
collectif clothing london
[4 - Bella Military Skirt, available from Top Vintage Corporal Cora shirt and tie, also available from Top Vintage, 5 - Bella Skirt, 6 - purple houndstooth dress, not sure of style name]

Overview
Out of these items, the only one that I don't really wear is the purple houndstooth dress at the bottom right of the set of photos. The reason for this is just because my tastes have changed since I bought it, and it's more of a party dress than one for everyday, so it needs the right occasion. All the other items are in regular rotation in my wardrobe, and some of the items have been featured more than once on my blog.

The only reason I don't own more clothing from this company (including their current season stuff) is just because I have been trying to save money on buying clothes and I have been buying as little as possible. My poor little student budget will only stretch so far!

I have found their customer service good - I have only needed to contact them once regarding a purchase, but the staff were fast and friendly when providing the information I needed.

Price
I think their clothing is, on the whole, reasonable priced. I usually prefer to shop in the sale (see above re: student budget) but at full price you can pick up dresses at around £50-£60, which isn't too bad even though it doesn't really constitute an "everyday" kind of purchase for me.

Quality
I have been happy with the quality of almost everything I have bought from Collectif, barring a couple of mishaps with sizing which they seem to have straightened out. For example, I own the three dresses in the top row of photos all in a UK size 8, and whilst the Regina dress and the Flora dress fit me beautifully, the Fedora dress is a little too tight on the bust. There is now plenty of information available on their website about sizing though, so I feel fairly confident I wouldn't run into any more problems of this nature.

I have been particularly pleased with the purple houndstooth dress and the Regina dress for the quality. They are both made of lovely material which you can see hangs well without a petticoat, although I also like to wear my Regina dress with a petticoat for extra poof.

Overall I have been least pleased with the Corporal Cora shirt. It seemed lovely to begin with but I don't feel that the material has washed as well as it might have done, and it's really difficult to iron!

Styling
Collectif has a good mix of styles ranging from modern rockabilly style items to more authentic looking 1940s and 50s reproduction items. Recently I feel like they have been stocking a larger number of more authentic looking items than they have done in the past, so this really is a brand that I feel fits in well with my personal sense of style and the other items of clothing I own.

Links
Website // Facebook // Blog

You May Also Like

13 comments

  1. I LOVE Collectif so much, but I always have an extremely difficult time getting my hands on their beautiful clothes because everything I want always seems out of stock...I am always checking their site several times a day waiting and waiting for stuff I want to buy to come back in stock. I would have a lot of their clothing if only they restocked more often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure they have a feature now where you can sign up to get an email when things come back into stock so that's definitely worth checking out!

      Delete
    2. No, they don't. You can email them and ask them about things, and they'll give you vauge answers like "it's in production, it should be in within the next couple of weeks" but that's about as good as it gets.

      Also, don't bother with their gift vouchers, they're a pain in the bum, especially if you live outside the UK.

      Their clothing is really lovely, and reasonable quality, but if you can purchase through a reseller and avoid dealing directly with them, I would definatly reccommend that option.

      Delete
    3. Hi, I double checked this for you since I felt sure they have mentioned this on their Facebook recently. I popped over to their website to have a look and was able to find an option where you can sign up to get an email when the item is back in stock, in the way that I mentioned. Here is a screenshot I took where I have highlighted the option: http://i60.tinypic.com/dli69y.jpg

      I've never tried their gift cards but I'm sorry you had a bad experience! Obviously I can only review the company based on my own experience of them which has been good overall, including their customer service.

      Delete
  2. I haven't ever really checked out this brand, but I'll have to! The pieces, especially the separates, look so wearable and practical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely worth a look into! I would love to get some more of their things when I have a bit more spending money.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this post! I will be looking into collectif! I find it difficulty in find places that stock the more traditional reproductions! If you have any more information on other places for more traditional items please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice,

      I have a huge list of companies and I will be doing a review of one company per month if you'd like to find out more :)

      Delete
  4. I have the same dress as you have on in picture number 1. It's not the Regina Doll, but the Sonia Doll - a style Collectif unfortunately no longer carries. You can tell by the sleeves: actual sleeves instead of cap sleeves/faux bolero style. ;) I love that print!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, that's close enough for me! They are all from previous collections and are several years old hence being a bit sketchy on the names.

      Delete
  5. Great review! I love that you included a number of different items that you own from the same company in one post. I've long admired Collectif's offerings from afar on the other side of the pond, but haven't yet ordered from them myself. Hopefully one day! I inevitably swoon over several of their offerings with each new collection.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their new collection is gorgeous, I want almost everything from it :)

      Delete
  6. I'm a Collectif fan so I enjoyed reading this article :D

    Cheers from Paris,
    Lorna
    Http://lornasharp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete