Sew For Victory

by - 10:00

Some of you may remember that I participated in the Knit For Victory knit-a-long hosted in January by Tasha from By Gum, By Golly!

Although I had one or two hitches with the project, I consider it an overall success. You can see some pictures and read more about the pattern I chose here. However, the finished article is shown off to best advantage in the lovely photos taken by Kevin when I modelled for him and Jac at Tip Top Hair Design a few weeks ago.


When I found out that there was going to be a sew-a-long entitled Sew For Victory and hosted by Rochelle at Lucky Lucille, I knew I had to participate.

I am not a very experienced knitter, but I am basically a complete novice at sewing (apart from sewing a petticoat which I wore for my cousin's wedding and attending a beginner sewing class last year). I'm also really busy at the moment, mostly due to my heavy load of uni coursework.

For these reasons I have selected a really simple pattern which I hope I can sew in my spare time in the evenings and not mess up too badly. I might even get it done all in one go, as according to the pattern it should only take 3 1/2 hours to complete. 

Here is the pattern I have chosen:


I will be sewing the lovely 1940s sundress on the right. Both these patterns as well as some others can be found for free here.

I have chosen to make it in this peach coloured polycotton:



I hope I can soon show you the completed article, or at least some progress! How about you - are you participating in the sew-a-long? If so then please share your project ideas or link my to any relevant blog posts etc, I'd love to know what you have chosen.

------------------

You May Also Like

9 comments

  1. That sundress is beautiful, good luck!!! I love the photo of you with your pup :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that fabric is so pretty!! Hope it turns out well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a lovely dress, and a wonderful colour you've chosen, I'll look forward to seeing the final result! It's so satisfying wearing things that you've made yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's so neat! i love those magic patterns. i once made a 1930s bias robe with a magic pattern before. it was so easy and quick. will have to check out more of those. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good. :) All the best and good luck to you! I have insignia that I need to sew on for Normandy in June, so I'm hoping that can count for my involvement in Sew for Victory? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a good choice, you will look so cute with this fabulous dress and the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely dress, I think it will look lovely in the fabric you have chosen.
    And thank you so much for the pattern-link.
    I joined the flickr-group and I really hope I will manage to participate, but I am so busy at the moment and am trying to participate in at least every second Historical-Sew-Fortnighty-Challenge, I am really not sure if this is possible. Hopefully I will find a project that fits into both challenges.
    love, ette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy sewing, dear gal!!! I'm a super novice sewer myself and would have opt for a similar project if I was taking part in this exciting challenge.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete