The Modern-70s-40s Landgirl

by - 06:30

Today was spent in the lab and working in the field (literally in a field, and trampling through brambles again) so my outfit was planned partially around that, and I specifically worked it around a pair of very comfortable shoes. I clocked up a lot of steps yesterday and my feet were killing me! These leather ones from Clarks are much more comfortable, even if they took ages to break in.

casual outfit via lovebirds vintage
Scarf - vintage via Etsy | Shirt - Matalan | Trousers - Primark | Shoes - Clarks

I wore all modern clothing as is my preference for lab work (I promise there will be more outfits with real vintage items when I'm spending less time doing messy things and climbing in brambles!) and went for a sort of 40s landgirl inspired look.

I had decided to try a new setting pattern though, and it didn't come out looking the best (I tend to forget that I don't usually get new hairstyles right on the first go!) and although I can definitely see the potential in it, it was better today to just throw it up in a ponytail and be done with it. By the time I'd put on the scarf, I was getting much more 70s vibes from this outfit than 40s. It just goes to show how much difference your hairstyle can make to a vintage look.

casual outfit via lovebirds vintage

cobweb via lovebirds vintage

casual outfit via lovebirds vintage


You May Also Like

8 comments

  1. These pictures are wonderful, and of course you look beautiful in modern clothing as well...! But speaking of convenience, practicalities and femininity, perhaps you should take a look at the blog of Ruby Armoire (Bloglovin'), where she describes and shows how she even climbs a (rather low, i suppose) mountain and still insists on wearing a dress and fully fashioned hosiery, and – most surprisingly – links it all up with a neo-feministic mindset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her blog seems to be deleted or at the least not working right now, though I'm pretty sure I read that same article some time ago.

      To be honest I probably could dress up a bit more for lab work if I wanted to (although heels probably not a good idea!) and I have been known to dress a bit more in my usual style for less messy work - but honestly I'm really leery of anything happening to my nice clothes. I did wear a summer dress to do some field work recently and ended up with sticky burrs all over my tights which obviously wasn't the end of the world (although it too a while to pick them all off), but it's just so overgrown that I'm sure I'm at a high risk of tearing some clothes before long.

      Delete
    2. Actually, my reference to Ruby Armoire's blog was from memory. Now I see that she actually closed down her Blogspot blog, but it seems like she moved it to Bloglovin (so thats probebly where to look for it nowadays). But of course you are right – and just for ordinary tasks such as cleaning etc. there are many dresses and pairs of stockings that I wouldn't wear. My point is only that if you enjoy dressing vintage, you could probably also find such clothing that would fit the demands and be compatible with a high level of messy, physical activity :-)

      Delete
  2. cute look! dress as you like and feel ... if it's a little more modern one day, it will be a little more vintage the other ... i wouldn't like to see a wonderful vintage dress getting ruined i a lab ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is so crisp and chic!

    I know what you mean about setting patterns! I'm lousy at 'em!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fully agreee with you, wardrobeexperience, and I can now see that my last posting could be seen as expressing some kind of 'vintage fundamentalism'. This was not my intention...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I didn't take it that way at all! I totally get what you were saying, and I've even put one of my nicer dresses on today!

      I really just hope that people don't get bored with some of the more modern outfits I've been posting recently. I've been finding it hard to find a balance between practicality and style, and photographing my outfits helps me a lot to review how I look and try to incorporate my usual style into work wear.

      Delete
  5. Smart, crisp, lovely ensemble. It has a certain distinct, understatedly elegant Katharine Hepburn look that I positively adore.

    ReplyDelete