The 1960s Hair Experience

by - 09:52

beehive via lovebirds vintage

You may remember from my previous post that I got my hair done by Jac into a Man Men-esque beehive style for my cousin's wedding last weekend. Since I'd paid for it and it meant I wouldn't have to worry about doing my own hair, I decided to make the style last as long as possible. In the end, I wore it for five days in total - Friday morning through to Tuesday evening. I showered wearing a shower cap and slept in a hair net to keep my hair as neat as possible, then tidied it up each morning using my teasing brush (I have this one) to smooth it out and pinning any bits which had come loose. After five days I decided I really needed to wash my hair as I could see the front of it was starting to look dirty. I normally wash my hair around every other day, so it had stayed looking pretty clean for a lot longer than it would normally.


beehive via lovebirds vintage

The photos here were taken on the last day, a couple of hours before I washed my hair. As you can see, it still looks pretty decent, and I probably could have squeezed another day or two out of the style if I'd really wanted to, especially if I'd had any dry shampoo to put on it. Apparently a great Aunt of mine used to get her hair put in a beehive at the salon once a fortnight in the 1960s, which is pretty amazing! I think I would have to get mine done once a week instead.

When I took everything out, my hair was huuuuge and looked pretty awesome, but also felt like old Barbie hair, which I think was mostly down to the build-up of hairspray I'd put on it throughout the week. I washed my hair as usual and gave it an extra dollop of conditioner as I always do when I've had a lot of teasing in my hair.

beehive via lovebirds vintage


beehive via lovebirds vintage

Overall I'd say this is a really great timesaver if you're busy. It is a bit restrictive though if you like to change up your style regularly, like I do. I find that if I'm having a lazy hair day, I'm always far too tempted to just throw my hair up in a ponytail or a bun, which gives me the excuse to dress down. This hairstyle is a good alternative because it allows me to be lazy but I'm also more likely to wear nicer clothes.

Long live the beehive, and bring back weekly sets at the hairdressers!

You May Also Like

6 comments

  1. Ahhhhhhh the beehive! You know I often wish that there were vintage hairdressers out there...I would love to go to salon and get a beehive because there is no way I could manage to do it myself. You look stunning as always and I love your Pop Boutique dress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely do exists, but I had to search really hard to find one in my area. I really love having my hair done by Jac though, it's a great experience.

      Delete
  2. This is such a fabulous look on you! It's a perfect mid-60s London girl look, with the dress and the tights and the hair. I love a good beehive, although I always found them hard to do myself. I could just never get them quite even. I can't wait for my hair to grow out a bit so that I can try them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :)

      I can do a basic one on myself but this was a lovely fancy one that I couldn't have managed. I definitely recommend them though, once your hair's grown long enough.

      Delete
  3. Wow, 5 days? I'm impressed! It really suits you too. Now I'm wondering if my hair is long enough for a beehive....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely lovely!!! The hairstyle (with its impressive lifespan) and dress alike both suit you to a stylish tee.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete